National Water Hygiene Card Online Training Course
This National Water Hygiene online course is designed to help you protect the drinking water supply in the UK by following safe hygiene practices when working on clean water sites or assets.
This course will inform you about what your duties are as a worker on clean water sites supplying the UK with drinking water. It outlines the risks to the public from contaminated water and how to prevent these events occurring in the future. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to work hygienically on clean water sites with confidence.
- Developed by UK Water Industry professionals
- Accredited by Energy and Utility Skills
- Fully online course and assessment
- Approximate duration: 3 hours
- On completion of the course a document providing evidence of completion is issued
- The National Water Hygiene card is posted to you by Royal Mail Special Delivery within two weeks
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is designed for those who are looking to gain their National Water Hygiene Card. Due to the present Coronavirus pandemic this course is now provided as a temporary alternative to the usual face-to-face classroom training. Whether you have taken the course in the past or are taking it for the first time then this is the safe method of delivery and the best practical option in accordance with the UK Government Advice.
As an alternative we can offer the National Water Hygiene training course by Video Conference using ZOOM. This course is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a suitable date and time.
On successful completion of the online course you will receive a Certificate of Course Completion which will demonstrate to an employer or water company that you have successfully completed the course. This will assist in gaining permission to work on water company's operational sites. Your new National Water Hygiene Card will be posted by Royal Mail Special Delivery to your address after processing. This will normally take two weeks.
This course is accredited by Energy and Utility Skills - the sector skills body for the UK water industry.
This National Water Hygiene card has an expiry date. It is valid for three years from the date of training. The expiry date is printed on the reverse of the card.
The course is divided into 11 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end.
- Health Screening
- The Importance of Water
- Water is Food
- Water as a Carrier of Disease
- Restricted Operations
- Potential Causes and Consequences of Contamination: Water Treatment and Storage
- Potential Causes and Consequences of Contamination: Water Network
- Preventing Contamination
- Ensuring Quality: Sampling and Audit
Aims of the Training
The Water Hygiene Card Course is designed for those who perform work in situations where the quality of the drinking water supply may be affected. Everyone entering clean water sites or engaging in operations on the clean water distribution network must hold a national water hygiene registration to demonstrate their competence and their understanding of safe water hygiene practice. By the end of this course, learners will have a thorough understanding of:
- The importance of clean water for public health.
- The consequences of microbiological contamination.
- The health risks associated with poor water hygiene practices and the importance of good workplace hygiene procedures.
- The different types of contamination - chemical and microbiological.
- Prevention of contamination
- What to do when things go wrong.
The online assessment is taken on the completion of the training material. You will be asked 25 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 22. The answers are marked automatically, so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass, don't worry! You can take the test again. If you do not pass on the first occasion you can attend the video conference training course at no extra charge.